Wc 51 crunching gearbox

gas 44

Ok hear we go,with Jack's old Jimmy there abouts done and very usable we moved onto another project a "42" slat grill.......thats turning into a real labour of love.

So we now have a Wc 51,its not bad but also need some attention but we are trying to keep it rolling this season. two minor problems have shown their head.

1, at about 30 mph we have a shimmy, (we can drive though it to about 40 mph) we are on Omaha tyres any suggestions to reduce it.

2, although we have about mastered the downshift on the jimmy we still seem to struggle down shifting on the dodge. Any advise would be appreciated.

Hopefully we will see some of you at Duxford.

Gary

The Dodge will handle most things in top. As said the down shift is very slow speed and double de clutch. As for shimmy, check all the bolts holding rims together are as tight as you can get. If the tyres have been standing there wcould be a flat spot, also the wheels can be balanced by a truck place. Or just try changing bcak to front.

Edited by Tony B

As has already been mentioned you need to have a relatively low road speed and and a good boot full of throttle at the mid point in the double de-clutch, don't be shy moving from the neutral position the next gear down as the clutch goes down the stick should also be moving into the next gear, the lower the gear the more engine revs in neutral you will need. A further point, don't try changing down while the vehicle is on over run a little bit of power to pick up the load just before moving into neutral will make the change cleaner.

It's really all about practice and understanding the rev curve of your particular engine. As a general rule the whole gear shift should be completed within the count one, one two, one the lapse of time between one two and one will be governed by the size of the engine and the weight of the vehicle ie how quickly the the engine revs drop off to allow you to match the falling engine rpm when off load vs the transmission road speed in neutral.

You can practice the timing using your car and double de-clutching every one crunches them occasionally particularly in modern heavy traffic.

Pete

Yes your right about the flat spot Tony, the earlier cast iron Zenith carbs are more prone to it.

The problem can be reduced to a large extent by ensuring the accelerator pump piston on the carb is free and not sticking and the plunger piston is in good condition even so there can be a bit of a lag, a quick double blip on the throttle can usually over come the lag.

Pete

Well guys thanks for your tips so far. It always supprises me just how much you can learn on places like this.

problem is I drive an AUTO 99% of the time so I have a whole new bag of worms to sort out.

Still I'll start trying and if you are the one stuck behind me going uphill as I struggle to downshift,remember your advise........slow road speed high revs.

Thanks again,

Gary

Hi Gary

Everyone is spot on with the down shift, the shimmy problem get rid of the OMAHA tyres.

I had the same problem with my 51, I did every thing to try and overcome the shimmy.

Changed to a set of good years tyres perfect!.

Keep the OMAHA things for the back.

Regards

Mal

Hi again and thankyou for all your help. You where bang on the button,after a bit of practice down shifting nearly sorted.......but as has been mentioned it will handle most situations in top.

Re the Omaha's, we have had them balanced and although not pleased with look of the lead "stuck" to the wheels it seems to helped with the shimmy. We also found a broken spring in the steering coupling,which we replaced.

Overall,very pleased with the Dodge,not many miles driven yet and will need some resto work in the future......but it has to wait in line after the jeep.

Thanks again guys.

Gary